Wednesday, January 4, 2012

home improvement 101

Since we have moved into this house we have done a few things to make it more our own.  Ask anyone, I am always working on a project!  Sometimes it drives Dave nuts but I just love DIYs and making things pretty, especially our home.  There is still a lot that can be done but we finally feel like we have made this place ours and cozy.



I was going crazy laying in bed for 2 weeks so I decided to start on our TV table.  This started out being a color I really didn't like so I sanded, primed and painted it black.  Looks so much better! (and for $15 on KSL + 2 dollars for supplies.)  $17?  Not bad right?


Bedroom Before . . .

I tried to get as many things done before my surgery while I still had an arm.  We started with adding an accent wall to our bedroom.  I stepped over the dark green paint and spilled an entire gallon on our carpet!  I was frantic!  I grabbed lots of paper towels, all of the towels in our house and started scraping it up.  I then got buckets of water and dish soap and dumped it all over the carpet so that the paint wouldn't dry.  Dave ran to the store and rented a carpet cleaner machine and bought some carpet cleaners.  After  6 rolls of paper towel and 2 hours we finally had it clean.  That was a miracle.  I still want to add paint to the other walls, some window treatments, and some more pictures but this is the start we have so far.  Much more cozy already:)  I am still going to make some drawers with cute knobs to put in the cubbies and paint the overhead shelving a grey color. Very excited about that!  I also have my eye on an awesome orange pillow at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I'm going to go snag that to add a little flare.  I'm going very minimalist in our bedroom since our furniture speaks modern--I like to play off of that.   The best part was when Dave installed sliding closet doors!  Now the room feels much more complete.

after . . .


Added some pictures to the walls.


Made some panels for the empty wall to add some color.  I took wood and stretched some nice prints over it and bam! Color!  A grand total of $8.00 a piece might I add:)



Painted the wall, added an entry table and some wall decor.
Love this frame!  Got it a DI for 1.50!  I was so excited to dress this up.  This is what it started out like . . .


. . .then the finished product.  I haven't decided what I want to put inside yet but for a dollar!  I'm feeling good about what I have so far!

Kitchen floor: I neglected to save the picture that I took on Dave's phone with our kitchen floor before.  Funny thing is that I found the exact same linoleum on google; yes, that yellow yucky stuff.  Now it looks a million times better!  Everything is coming along :) More updates as soon as our house gets put back together!


Hope you enjoyed.  More to come later in Home Improvement 220!  ;)
xoxo Cari

No comments:

Post a Comment